We present to your attention another very popular Khmer national dish – red curry. Red Cambodian Curry – it is vegetables stewed with meat in a sauce of coconut milk flavored with spices and herbs. In the province to prepare curries typically use the whole chicken whole, but in restaurants, usually only chicken breast, cut into cubes. The highlight dishes and its characteristic flavor due to the original curry paste composition, which includes more than 15 ingredients.
Before cooking you should prepare some products. Average preparation of ingredients takes 15 minutes to complete.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
– Red curry paste Kroeng – 2-3 tbsp
– Coconut milk (canned.) – 150-250 ml
– Chicken breast – 150 g
– Carrots – 50 g
– Eggplant – 50 g
– Green asparagus – 50 g
– Potatoes and sweet potatoes – 50 g
– Onions – 50 g
– Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
– Shrimp paste – 1 tsp
– Fish sauce – 1 tsp
– Palm Sugar – 1 tsp
– Condensed milk – 1/2 tsp
– Salt, chili pepper and sugar – to taste
Cooking method paste Kroeng:
Mix by a mortar for spices or blender until smooth ingredinty following:
– Cut peel kaffrskogo lime – 2 pcs.
– Leaves kaffrskogo lime – 5 pcs.
– Stalks of fresh lemongrass – 2 pcs.
– Fresh galangal root – 30 g.
– Fresh turmeric root – 15 g.
– Shallots – 2 pcs.
– The head of garlic – 1 pc.
– Shrimp paste – 1 tsp.
– Salt – ¼ of tsp.
– Hot chili pepper – 1 pc.
Сurry cooking method:
1) In a skillet heat the curry paste with a little vegetable oil kollichestvom. Add to the mix the chicken and fry over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
2) Alternately add the vegetables in order: carrots, potatoes, asparagus, eggplant, onions. Add canned coconut cream, a spoonful of fish sauce, palm sugar, condensed milk, salt, sugar to taste and simmer a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
3) Adjust to the desired thickness curry creamy, adding more if necessary coconut milk. Bring to a readiness over medium heat. Garnish rice. Garnish with chopped greens, star anise, cinnamon stick and a few rings of acute moderate-long chili pepper which is commonly used for cooking pilaf.
Chef «Grill Wine Café»
Greetings readers Cambodia Russian Guide Magazine!
My name is Linh Lay, me 33 years, and almost all my life I connected with the cooking. I was born in a village 3 kilometers from the city of Siem Reap, and his acquaintance with cooking began in his mother’s candy shop that sold traditional Khmer desserts on market. Subsequently, I myself have purchased products and preparing sweets for sale. Although my favorite food from childhood is still a soup of vegetables and fish.
Since 2003, I began to learn the basics of cooking things in culinary school and after graduation worked for 2 years in the restaurant Blue Pumpkin, who later took over the work in the Golf Club, on the way to the temple of Bakong. I also tried his hand as a volunteer, sitting chef in a floating clinic on the water, but did not stay there for a long time – there was a desire to realize themselves in the capital.
As a result, followed by a transfer to Phnom Penh and work as a cook of Western and Asian cuisine in one of the capital’s restaurants.
Since 2011 – more than 5 years – I worked as a chef in a restaurant Grill Wine Cafe in Siem Reap.
Last year I got married and happily married. I bring up an adopted son, who became a full-fledged member of my family since 2006.
I cook a lot, but my favorite dishes still remains: curry, good sausages and lamb slow-cooked. Cooking for me and the profession, and my main hobby. I’m going to become the best chef in Cambodia and improve their skills and techniques every day, delighting our guests with dishes of Asian and European cuisine.
I really want to Khmer cuisine has become famous outside Cambodia to its tried and rated as more and more people from different countries as possible. And we’re working on it. Not so long ago, thanks to the efforts and leadership of our united team, opened a branch of the Grill Wine Café restaurant cuisine with cambodian dishes in Malaysia – this is the first Cambodian restaurant in the Malaysian city of Kuching.